Thursday, March 8, 2012

ABC Scavenger Hunt

Picasa Web Album:



Google Presentation:



What went well:
It was a very easy and fun project to go out and find the pictures of the objects! I renamed the pictures very easily because I have a lot of experience with uploading pictures onto my computer at home and renaming them to put them into albums. Once the pictures were saved onto the computer, it was very simple to create a new album on Picasa and create a new presentation on Google and then upload the pictures into both.


What did not go well:
It took a long time for the pictures to download from my phone into dropbox. This left all of the group members sitting idle while we waited on the pictures. It was also hard at first to figure out how to resize the pictures and change the resolution on them in the Preview application because I have never had experience with this type of thing.

What I would change:
I would make embedding the web album and google presentation easier. On both websites, you have to make sure you are sharing it with the public and then go on a scavenger hunt just to find how to embed the code somewhere! I would also add new templates to the google presentation because the ones that are available to choose from are not any that I would personally choose. It might be helpful to be able to create your own.


Use in the classroom:
I think scavenger hunts are a great way to get students involved in the subject matter. If they have actual real-life experience with the information, they are much more likely to retain the information later on. I think creating the web album and the presentation would really depend on the grade level. For younger grades, it seems that it would be too hard for them to upload the pictures, add captions, share the album, embed the code, etc. With the younger kids I would probably allow them to go on the scavenger hunt and then just share what they find with the class instead of creating all of the complicated things online. For the older kids, however, I think this is a great project for them to do, with scaffolding from the teacher of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment